Pages

Highlights.



Thursday, July 28, 2011

Makan-logue #4: the Upstairs cafe, Subang Jaya.


 

Its very important to me, that I have a place to escape to with my lappie, sipping a good cup of hot chocolate, inhaling the air with a slight twinge of the aromatic scent of coffee. I have been in search for my second home for a while now, and so far, thanks to a great chef friend of mine, Rick who've introduced me the place, only the Upstairs Cafe came close to my standards in terms of its ambiance, food and coffee. Here's why the Upstairs Cafe located opposite Subang Jaya Medical Center (SJMC) is on top my list for the perfect short, much needed, getaway.

Ambiance.
The perfect place to chill with your friends or even if you are like me, the perfect place for a short escape. With wooden furniture and parquet of warm soft shades of brown and cream, accented with alittle red and white cushions, lit by dimmed fluorescent light perfect for reading, made me fall in love with the place completely the moment I reached the end of the staircase. Yes, you will have to go up the staircase for the cafe, hence the name. The very reason why I loved the place is simply because of the soft scent of aromatic coffee beans which somewhat helps me feel relaxed and right at home. The Upstairs cafe is the perfect place to be if you want to feel cosy and comfortable.





Food.
I have so far tried its Spaghetti Bolognese and have loved it the instant I tasted it. The full sweet and sourish tomato taste with the strong smell of melted Parmesan cheese all mixed together with the homemade pasta and minced beef is not only appetizing to look at, but believe me, it tastes really good too. The pasta, only RM8, what a steal!


I've also tried its onion cheese quiche. This is actually my very first time trying a quiche. Nothing big though, its what I would call, a savory open pie cause its fillings are usually chopped meat, vegetables, and cheese. The onion cheese quiche was good, really. I have always loved the combination of cheese and caramelized onions been it on pizzas, breads and even now, quiche. The fragrant smell of the onion with a twinge of onion sweetness combines with the saltiness of the cheese is perfect. And the quiche is only RM 8.50.


Cakes. This is my favorite part. What good is a coffee shop if it is without good cakes right? I have only tried its blueberry cheese cake for now(am making it a point to try all their cakes one day) and I loved it. I am a big fan of blueberry cheese since the very first time I had it in Genting, about a decade back. I haven't found any so far which could top that until now. I have a weird thing with cheese. I never liked frozen cheese, the reason being I hate the pungent smell of the cheese but I love the fragrant smell of melted cheese once the heavy pungent dairy smell is gone. And this is why, I only take cheese cakes with a thicker cookie base. Another plus point, they use digestive biscuits which naturally already have a smell and taste that I like. Best of all is, they use big natural blue berries to top off the cheese cake. I really like the natural sweet taste of the blueberries and the cheese. A slice of blueberry cheese cake, only for RM 6.50. They have a variety of other cakes too but their best seller is the red velvet, which I am planning to give it a try on my next getaway.


Coffee.
I am pretty boring when it comes to coffees. Its either frappucinos or hot chocolate. And so far, I have tried their mocha frappucino and also Rick's caramel macchiato. The rich taste of coffee with the chocolatey taste of the chocolate at the end of every sip won me over. I'm not a big fan of caramel so, I didn't really like the caramel macchiato, but apparently, Rick, a student-chef approves of the macchiato and said that its hard making a good macchiato like this one. So, good cups of coffees, checked only at RM 8.50 for the frappe and RM 8 for the macchiato.



So here I am, sharing my favorite getaway spot with you. I will be there at least once a week, so if you spot me there, make sure you say hi! Also, know that the food and beverages served here are all homemade, 
yes that includes their cakes which are outsourced by homemakers in Subang.


My take on the Upstairs Cafe, Subang? Ambience: 7/10
Food: 8/10
Coffee: 8/10
Price: 7/10

Upstairs Cafe 
(Located above the famous Kafe Bawang Merah owned by his father)
1st Flr, 12A, Jalan SS12/18
Subang Jaya, Selangor

Opening Hours: 3:00pm-11:00pm, Mon-Sat
Closed: Sun
Tel: 03-5611 9171



No comments:

Further Reads:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...