Pages

Highlights.



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Makan-logue #1.: First Coffee House, Ipoh.

So since I am an avid fan of good food, I figured, I might as well start writing more about food and my adventures searching high and low for them. Whats the point of knowing about all these heavenly food but no one to share with, no? My first entry for this very new section of my blog will be the First Coffee House in Ipoh.


  
Honestly, tell me, where can you find a full three-course meal with a vintage, 30s restaurant ambience and feel all for only RM 12.90! At First Coffee House, you can. Here's my take on this restaurant.


I first come to know about this place when my friend Jo Yi, told me about how cheap and worth it this place is. The first thing that came into my mind when I entered the restaurant was how old-school it was. All the workers there are all about 60-80 years of age. A friendly uncle even told me that he had been working there for about 20 years now! And being the always-nostalgic me, I started imagining how many young dating girls and guys who will be about my parents age now.

First up, Starters.
For starters, you'll get a bowl of mushroom soup with hot steamed soft bun with butter. I usually leave the butter out (cause I hate eating chilled butter) and the bun goes perfectly well with the steamy-hot soup. Pretty much enough to fill me actually, but believe me, this is just a small portion of it.



Next up, the Main Course.
As for the main course, you'll have a wide variety to choose from, such as the Chicken Chop, Mixed Grill, Lamb Chop etc. My choice, a Half Spring Chicken as my main course. Yes, HALF a chicken served with fries and coleslaw. The chicken is perfectly fried leaving the skin perfectly crisp but the great thing about it is, its meat is still succulent and juicy on the inside. Going through the chicken requires patience skills as it can be pretty messy with all its chicken juices flying everywhere.

Jo Yi's Chicken Chop. 
I tasted it and it was pretty good. Not perfect to my liking cause I always preferred grilled chicken chop, but really, it definitely did not disappoint me.

My oh-so-awesome half spring chicken.
This is a MUST-TRY!

What's the perfect way to end a perfect meal? The perfect dessert.
You are given a choice between having the ice-cream, creme caramel, coffee or tea. And to make things even better, you can have two from the choices given above. I choose the ice-cream and creme caramel. I have a sweettooth and I am a huge fan of creme caramels. I know of this other place in Ipoh which serves the best creme caramel and it is super kind to your pockets. I promise I'll write about it in my future posts. But anyhow, the creme caramel served by First is actually pretty decent. And the special thing about it is that they put in small coconut bits. I'm not a big fan of coconuts, so this isn't my favorite but rest assured that its creme caramel is very soft and smooth, perfectly done.

Black coffee. 
This is definitely not mine.

Ice cream with coconut-creme caramel.

So, if you are looking to enjoy a whole three-course meal but is low on budget, make sure you stop by First Coffee House not only for a great meal but for a trip back to the olden days. Oh, and First also have catering services if you wish to throw a party.


My take on First Coffee House, Ipoh?
Ambience: 6.5/10
Food: 6.5/10
Price: 9/10

First Coffee House/ Catering
61 & 63,
Jalan Dato' Onn Jaafar (Cockman St.),
30300 Ipoh
05-2410286, 2412329
012-5051913 (Sow)

No comments:

Further Reads:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...